Whether you are planning a weekend trip or a family vacation, you will find plenty of activities in Asheville to last you for days. Below, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of 15 of the best things to do in Asheville, NC. However, if you are looking for more fun activities, simply download our free Chimney Rock/Lake Lure Vacation Guide. Our guide is full of recommendations on events, restaurants, outdoor recreation, and more.
The Best Things to Do Near Asheville, NC
Whether it is spring, summer, autumn, or winter, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the great outdoors in Asheville, NC, and the surrounding area! Take your time to appreciate Western North Carolina’s natural treasures with the following activities:
- Ride down America’s steepest and fastest canopy tour, The Gorge Zipline!
- Hike at Chimney Rock State Park to the 404-foot waterfall, Hickory Nut Falls. (While you’re in the area, be sure to explore more of the region’s most beautiful waterfalls.)
- Have some fun on the water with river tubing on the Green River.
- Explore the mountains from a unique perspective on a horseback riding tour!
- Go trout fishing on the Rocky Broad River.
Fun Things to Do
Asheville is home to many unique attractions. If you are looking for a one-of-a-kind experience that you won’t find anywhere else in the world, then add one (or all) of these activities to your bucket list!
- Walk down the historic Rocky Broad River Bridge and discover the Lake Lure Flowering Bridge. (Admission to the garden is free!)
- Stroll through the River Arts District and take a pottery class at The Village Potters.
- Take a tour of the Biltmore Estate, the largest home in America.
- Learn about the animals and plants native to the Southern Appalachian region at the Western North Carolina Nature Center.
- Go apple picking at an orchard in the nearby town of Hendersonville!
- Delve into Asheville’s legendary music scene with a live show!
Asheville is a haven for those who love farm-to-table food, craft beer, and handcrafted wines. Enjoy the best of what the area offers with one of these foodie excursions!
- Take a vineyard and winery tour at Burntshirt Vineyards.
- Get a taste of Western North Carolina on an Asheville food tour.
- Enjoy a hands-on cooking class with Chef Keith Chinn at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant!
- Get to know the breweries of Western North Carolina on a guided tour with Asheville Brewery Tours.
Where to Stay
Only a scenic 40-minute drive away from the bustling city of Asheville, nestled in one of the most incredible canyons, The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant is a destination in and of itself. When you book a stay in any of our elegant accommodations, you can always look forward to the best amenities, packages, and top-notch service! All of our guests can enjoy daily gourmet breakfast, services at our luxurious spa, access to our outdoor patio and Jacuzzi, and more. If you are ready to plan your next vacation, take a look at our current specials and book your stay! We can’t wait to host you at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant!
If you are planning a family vacation, read our blog on 15 of the best things to do in Asheville with kids!