The Best Western North Carolina Events on the 2019 Calendar
Western North Carolina is a picturesque region that plays host to a variety of events throughout the year. From movie and food festivals to live music concerts, our area has something for everyone. Read on to discover more than 40 unique events in Western North Carolina! Afterward, find more fun things to do in our Lake Lure/Chimney Rock Vacation Guide. Our guide is full of information on entertainment, dining, and outdoor recreation, so that you can spend less time planning and more time having fun!
A Calendar of the Best 2019 Events in Western North Carolina
One of the best ways to celebrate New Year’s in North Carolina is the Lake Lure Polar Plunge. Each January, hundreds of brave (and crazy) people support local charities by jumping into the frigid water. Costumes, bonfires, hot chocolate, and a live DJ complete the affair. January is also an exciting month at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, as we host a variety of cooking classes and culinary events. Mark your calendar for the following:
- Lake Lure Polar Plunge, January 1 on Lake Lure, NC.
- Cork N Brush, a guided painting class with sips of wine in between, January 19 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Culinary Escape/Hands-on Cooking Class, January 19 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Asheville Restaurant Week, January 21 through January 27 at participating Asheville area restaurants.
- Culinary Escape/Hands-on Cooking Class, January 26 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
This February, surprise your loved one with a romantic mountain getaway and a delicious Valentine’s Day Dinner at the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. February is a quiet time of year, making it perfect for exploring natural treasures like Looking Glass Falls and Hickory Nut Falls. During your visit, you can also check out the following events at our inn:
- Silent Film Event, February 2 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Culinary Escape/Hands-on Cooking Class, February 9 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Mountain Brook Vineyards Wine Dinner, February 23 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
If you’re in need of some retail therapy, check out Vintage Market Days in Asheville. This upscale, vintage-inspired market is held in cities across the country and features original art, antiques, clothing, and food. It’s a one-of-a-kind shopping experience for customers of all ages. Some other March events you may enjoy are:
- Culinary Escape/Hands-on Cooking Class, March 9 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Cork N Brush, a guided painting class with sips of wine in between, March 9 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
- Vintage Market Days of Asheville, March 15 through March 17 at the WNC Ag Center
- Culinary Escape/Hands-on Cooking Class, March, 23 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
If you are looking for something fun to do with the kids, then take them to Earth Day at Chimney Rock State Park! This educational and interactive event is each April; it is a free event that takes place, rain or shine. Learn about the great work being done to protect our beautiful landscape.
- Earth Day at Chimney Rock, TBD at Chimney Rock State Park.
- The Biltmore Blooms Festival of Flowers, April 1 through May 23 at Biltmore Estate.
- Carolina Donut Festival, April 20 in downtown Marion, NC.
- Easter Brunch, April 21 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant.
- Weaverville Art Safari Spring Studio Tour, April 27 & 28 in Weaverville, NC.
The Asheville Herb Festival is the greatest herb festival in the Southeast, and it takes place each May in the heart of Asheville. The festival features products from a wide variety of gardeners and herbalists. Festival-goers can stop by for herbal ointments, balms, soaps, teas, medicines, and more!
- The Asheville Herb Festival, May 3 through May 5 at The WNC Farmers Market in Asheville.
- LEAF Festival, May 9 through May 12 in Black Mountain, NC.
- Mother’s Day Lunch, May 12 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant.
- Asheville Beer Week, May 24 through June 1 in downtown Asheville.
June is an exciting month for festivals in Western North Carolina! During the Drums & Dragons Race, participants paddle 250 meters down a chosen local river in 30-foot long dragon boats, dressed in dragon heads, tails, and scales! Another one of our favorite June events is the Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival in Tryon, NC. You’ll enjoy rides and games, delicious BBQ, live music, and so much more at this family-friendly event.
When it comes to Independence Day celebrations, no place does it better than Lake Lure. Gather your family and friends for a fun evening by the water! Some other fun summer events in July are:
- The Lake Lure Fireworks Celebration, July 3 at Morse Park Meadows.
- NC Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands, July 19 through July 21 in downtown Asheville, NC.
- Beats, Burgers and Brews, every weekend in July at Chimney Rock State Park.
For more 4th of July events, read our blog on Independence Day celebrations!
The Dirty Dancing Festival in Lake Lure, NC is one of the most exciting events of the summer. Attendees can enjoy dancing lessons, games, live music, arts and crafts, and exciting dance competitions in Lake Lure where part of the movie was filmed. Whether you decide to jump in and dance or sit back and watch, we guarantee that you will have the “time of your life!” If you are visiting in August, don’t miss these other fun events:
- Lake Lure Olympiad Sports Festival, August 9 through August 11 in Chimney Rock and Lake Lure, NC.
- Sourwood Honey Festival, August 10 through August 11 in Black Mountain, NC.
The North Carolina Apple Festival takes place each Labor Day weekend in Hendersonville, North Carolina. Guests can enjoy four days of fun with arts and crafts, free entertainment, baked goods, and plenty of freshly picked apples. Yum! Here are a few more of our favorite events in September:
- NC Apple Festival, August 30 through September 1 in Hendersonville, NC.
- The NC Mountain State Fair, September 6 through September 15 in Fletcher, NC.
- Brewgrass Festival, TBD in Asheville, NC.
There are so many ways to celebrate Halloween in Western North Carolina! Don’t miss Halloweenfest in downtown Brevard. Then, watch as vampires, zombies, and ghosts participate in the Flight of the Vampire Run! You can also look forward to a spooky parade, a chili cook-off, a pumpkin carving contest, a haunted house, and a masquerade ball. A few other popular events in October include:
- Halloweenfest, October 26, in downtown Brevard, NC.
- NC Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands, October 18 through October 20 in downtown Asheville, NC.
- Weaverville Art Safari Fall Studio Tour, TBD in Weaverville, NC.
The Biltmore Estate Christmas Celebration kicks off in November and is a century-old tradition. Each year, this holiday event delights thousands of visitors with over 50 decorated Christmas trees, 65 adorned fireplaces, and countless twinkling lights. Feel free to tour the property for a one-of-a-kind experience you’ll never forget. Mark your calendar for the following events this November, as well!
- Christmas at Biltmore, November 1 through January 6 at Biltmore Estate.
- A Christmas Carol, TBD at Flat Rock Playhouse.
- Thanksgiving Dinner, November 28 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant.
- Forest City Christmas Lights, November 28 through January in Forest City, NC.
Lake Lure and Chimney Rock become a winter wonderland in December, so this is one of the most magical times to visit. Watch Santa scale the world’s largest chimney at Chimney Rock State Park, or watch as millions of sparkling lights illuminate Rutherfordton. Then, join us for our famous Wine Dinner and New Year’s Eve Dinner at the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. Mark your calendar for the following festivities and celebrate with us this year:
- Santa on the Chimney, December 7 & December 14 at Chimney Rock State Park.
- Olde Fashioned Hendersonville Christmas, TBD in Hendersonville, NC
- Small Town Christmas, TBD in Rutherfordton, NC.
- Winterfest, TBD in Tryon, NC.
- New Year’s Eve Dinner, December 31 at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC.
Book Your Stay at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant
Now that you’ve found the best events in Western North Carolina, it’s time to plan your trip! Our Chimney Rock bed and breakfast is the perfect place to stay and offers top-notch accommodations and amenities. Rest up in one of our comfortable guest rooms, or reserve a cozy cabin. Complimentary breakfast, spa services, and dinner at our award-winning restaurant are a few perks to enjoy during your stay.
When you are ready to plan your next getaway, check our current specials and book your stay. We can’t wait to host you at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant!