Western North Carolina Events Calendar
Upcoming Events in the Local Area
Western North Carolina is a picturesque region that plays host to a variety of events throughout the year. From movie and food festivals to live music concerts, our area has something for everyone. Spend an afternoon shopping at Vintage Market Days in Asheville, or celebrate Christmas at Biltmore Estate. Whatever you choose, attending any one of these local events will leave you with lasting memories! Here are some of our top recommendations:
For a complete list of even more events and fun things to do in Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, as well as the surrounding cities, be sure to download our free Vacation Guide! It’s full of information on fun things to do during your stay at The Esmeralda.
One of the best ways to celebrate New Year’s in North Carolina is to sign up for the Lake Lure Polar Plunge. Each January, hundreds of brave (and crazy) people support local charities by jumping into the frigid water. Costumes, bonfires, hot chocolate, and a live DJ complete the affair. January is also a very exciting time at The Esmeralda Inn, as we have a variety of new classes to attend. Mark your calendar for the following:
- Cooking Classes at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC
- On-site Spa coming in January 2018! Please check our website for more details.
Surprise your loved one with a delicious Valentine’s Day Dinner at the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant this February! And you definitely won’t want to miss our upcoming Bat Cave’s Silent Movie Era (Film Fest). Come take a step back in time with a night of silent movies that were all filmed right here at Bat Cave.
If you’re in need of a little retail therapy, be sure to check out Vintage Market Days in Asheville. This upscale, vintage-inspired market is held in cities across the country and features original art, antiques, clothing, and food. It’s a one-of-a-kind shopping experience for customers of all ages.
Are you looking for something fun to do with the kids? Take them to Earth Day at Chimney Rock State Park. Held each April, this free event takes place rain or shine and is a great way to learn about the great work being done to protect our beautiful landscape. Plus, the whole family will enjoy hiking in the park!
Join The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant for a special Easter Brunch on Sunday, April 1st, 2018 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.Easter Brunch Menu
Did you know that the Asheville Herb Festival is the greatest herb festival in the southeast? It’s held each year in May and features products from a wide variety of gardeners and herbalists. Festival-goers can stop by for herbal ointments, balms, soaps, teas, medicines, and more.
Join The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant for a special Mother’s Day Lunch Sunday, May 13th, 2018.
There are so many exciting festivals happening in June and you won’t want to miss a single one! The Lure of the Dragons race in Lake Lure combines fun festivities with exciting competition. Teams paddle 250 meters down the Rocky Broad River in 30-foot long dragon boats, dressed in dragon heads, tails, and scales – all in the name of local charities. Another one of our favorites is the Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival in Tryon, NC. The family-friendly event features rides and games, delicious BBQ, live music, and so much more. Here are some other not-to-miss events in June:
- 5th Annual Movie on the Meadows at Chimney Rock Park ft. “The Last of the Mohicans” Chimney Rock, NC
- Natural Niche Series: Summer Birding at Chimney Rock Park, Chimney Rock, NC
- Chimney Rock Park Father’s Day BOGO Special, Chimney Rock, NC
- Music Thursdays at The Gathering Place, Chimney Rock, NC (June-August)
When it comes to Independence Day celebrations, no place does it better than Lake Lure. Gather your family and friends for a fun evening by the water! The Lake Lure Fireworks Celebration is truly spectacular and features food trucks, souvenirs, and, of course, fireworks. There is no charge for park entry or viewing. Beats, Burgers and Brews in Chimney Rock is another popular event in July. Come relax outdoors with a cold craft beer as you listen to bluegrass, Americana, folk, blues, and other beats.
The The Dirty Dancing Festival in Lake Lure, NC is one of the most exciting events of the summer. Held in Lake Lure where part of the movie was filmed, attendees can enjoy dancing lessons, games, live music, arts and crafts, and exciting dance competitions. Whether you decide to jump in and dance or sit back and watch, we guarantee that you will have the “time of your life!” If you are visiting in August, don’t miss these other fun events:
- The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant Wine Dinner, Chimney Rock, NC
- Lake Lure Olympiad Sports Festival, Lake Lure, NC
- Sourwood Festival, Black Mountain, NC
The North Carolina Apple Festival is held over Labor Day Weekend in Hendersonville, North Carolina. It has been Western North Carolina’s premier family festival for over 60 years! Guests can enjoy four days of fun with arts & crafts, free entertainment, and plenty of freshly picked apples. Yum! Here are a few of our other favorite events in September:
- Apple Orchards Open, WNC (september-October)
- Mountain State Fair, Fletcher, NC
- Alive After Five, Asheville, NC
- Brewgrass Festival, Asheville, NC
Located in Transylvania County, Brevard, NC is one of the best places to celebrate Halloween. Don’t miss this year’s Downtown Brevard Halloweenfest! Visitors can watch as vampires, zombies, and ghosts participate in the Flight of the Vampire Run. Then, be sure to check out the parade, chili cook-off, pumpkin carving contest, haunted house, and masquerade ball. The Esmeralda Inn also hosts a spooktacular Halloween celebration complete with a costume contest, dinner, cocktails, storytelling, and a movie! Here are a few other popular events in October:
- LEAF Festival, Black Mountain, NC
- Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands, Asheville, NC
- NOC Octoberfest, Bryson City, NC
- Scenic flights over Asheville, Asheville, NC
- Weaverville Art Safari, Weaverville, NC
- Downtown Brevard Halloweenfest, Brevard, NC
A trip to Biltmore Estate should be on your bucket list. Make plans to visit this winter! The Biltmore Estate Christmas Celebration is a century-old tradition that delights thousands of visitors each year. America’s largest home sparkles with over 50 decorated Christmas trees, 65 adorned fireplaces, and countless twinkling lights. Feel free to tour the property for a one-of-a-kind holiday experience you’ll never forget. Mark your calendar for the following events and start making your plans to attend now:
- Thanksgiving Buffet at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC
- Christmas at Biltmore, Asheville, NC (November-January)
- Polar Express Train, Bryson City, NC (November to January)
- A Christmas Carol at Flat Rock Playhouse, Flat Rock, NC (November to December)
- Winter Lights at the NC Arboretum, Asheville, NC (November to January)
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland, Fletcher, NC (November to December)
- Forest City Hometown Holiday Lights, Forest City, NC (November to January)
- National Gingerbread House Competition at The Grove Park Inn, Asheville, NC (November to January)
Lake Lure and Chimney Rock become a winter wonderland in December, so this is one of the most magical times to visit. Watch Santa scale the world’s largest chimney at Chimney Rock State Park or watch as millions of sparkling lights illuminate Rutherfordton. Then, come join us for our famous Wine Dinner and New Year’s Eve Dinner at the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. Mark your calendar for the following festivities and come celebrate with us this year:
- The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant Wine Dinner, Chimney Rock, NC
- Santa on the Chimney, Chimney Rock State Park
- Olde Fashioned Hendersonville Christmas, Hendersonville, NC
- Small Town Christmas, Rutherfordton, NC
- Santa on the Rock, Chimney Rock, NC
- Winterfest at TIEC ( Every Sat.), Tryon, NC
- New Year’s Eve Dinner at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant, Chimney Rock, NC
Book Your Stay at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant
Now that you know about some of the best events in the area, it’s time to start planning your trip to North Carolina! Our Chimney Rock bed and breakfast is the perfect place to stay and offers top-notch accommodations and amenities. Rest up in one of our comfortable guest rooms, or reserve a cozy cabin. We even have a fabulous spa and a restaurant right on site. Check our availability and book your stay today!