January is the start of a new year filled with lots of surprises and cold weather. If you want to take a trip to the stark beauty of Western North Carolina in January, then we have a few great things for y’all to do! Whether you enjoy attending a fun festival in Asheville or taking a hike outdoors, we have the perfect recommendations for what you want to do in January.
You’ll find some great Chimney Rock activities below, but there’s so much more to do in our beautiful area of Western North Carolina! Access our free Vacation Guide full of the best places to eat, shop, and see in Chimney Rock and Lake Lure!
What are the Best Things to do in January in Western NC
- Asheville Fringe Arts Festival – The “Fringe” Arts Festival is meant to showcase avant-garde and thought provoking art! Originally started in Edinburgh, Scotland, The Asheville Fringe Arts Festival is a great way to see new artists that explore and redefine what you thought was possible.
- Asheville Restaurant Week – Asheville Restaurant Week celebrates the more than 250 independent restaurants that call Asheville, NC home. Enjoy special menus, fresh and locally sourced food, and a fun atmosphere when you take part in Asheville’s Restaurant Week.
- Lake Lure Polar Plunge – Join hundreds of others to brave the cold waters of Lake Lure and ring in the New Year at the annual Lake Lure Polar Plunge. Registration is $20 which goes toward local first responders.
Visiting the Outdoors in January
Yes, it is colder than normal in January, but the weather rarely falls below temperatures that require you to bundle up like a mummy. Enjoy hiking trails to waterfalls that occasionally freeze, snowtubing down a mountainside, or taking the Lake Lure Polar Plunge.
- Snow Tubing is a great activity for all ages as it requires zero skill! There are several great places to go snowtubing near The Esmeralda such as Moonshine Mountain, Black Bear, and Hawksnest.
- There are plenty of great winter hikes in the Asheville area, but one of our favorites is the hike to Pearson’s Falls.
- Take a stroll downtown historic Chimney Rock Village! Stop in a local store for some fudge, take pictures with the holiday decorations, and eat out when you spend your day outdoors in Chimney Rock, NC.
Complete Your Getaway with a Stay at The Esmeralda!
You will find top-notch accommodations at The Esmeralda Inn. From our contemporary touches to our spacious guest rooms, you’ll find comfortable bliss in Lake Lure. Need some more space? Check out our cabins built to fit the whole family! Our in-house amenities include a spacious recreation area with games like foosball, and air hockey, an award-winning restaurant, complimentary gourmet breakfast, and much more!
Experience comfort, charm, and mountain views with an unforgettable stay at The Esmeralda Inn! Check our availability and book your stay today!