The summer season is beer season. Nothing is more refreshing on a hot summer day than that first sip of an ice-cold beer. Western NC is home to some of the country’s top breweries, and they brew the best IPAs in Asheville. From Highland Brewing to Whistle Hop, you can find these refreshing beers in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains!
When you’re ready for your IPA tour of Asheville, access our free vacation guide for even more fun around Asheville!
Where to Find the Best IPAs
- Burial Beer is in the South Slope District of Asheville. The name comes from the founder’s New Orleans roots. One of the most unique things about this brewery is the names they give their beers.
- Wicked Weed Brewing is one of the most famous breweries in the country. They pushed the boundaries by offering many different styles of beer, including West Coast-style IPAs and sours. You can find their beer, especially Pernicious IPA, in many stores across the country.
- Highland Brewing was founded in 1994 and is the largest, family-owned brewery that began in the Southeast. Being in business for more than 28 years makes Highland one of the most popular breweries.
- Wedge Brewing took a dilapidated old building and dirt lot by the tracks and turned it into one of Asheville’s favorite spots for beer-goers. Boasting many beers, you will be sure to find one to satisfy your palette.
- New Belgium Brewing is now 100% employee-owned and was originally founded more than three decades ago in Fort Collins, CO. When demand for their famous beers increased, they opened a brewery right here in the mountains of Western NC.
- Sierra Nevada started out on the West Coast before 2015 saw it start producing in the East in Mills River, NC just south of Asheville. Their beers are known throughout the world after being founded in 1980.
- Hi-Wire Brewing is one of the most laidback and colorful breweries to come out in recent years. The company hires local-area artists for all their artwork around the brewery and for their packaging.
- Bhramari Brewing Company was put together by a creative collection of artists. Their goal is to have fun and bring the best beers to your table.
- Dssolvr prides itself on bringing the old ways of brewing with the new ways. They delve into fermentation as well with wines, ciders, and more.
- Whistle Hop Brewing Company has a gorgeous outdoor space that is kid and pet friendly. Offering great views of the mountains, it’s a brewery you don’t want to miss!
The Best from Each Location
1. The Third Fellowship of the Extraterrestrial Occult (Burial)
2. Pernicious (Wicked Weed)
3. Daycation & Hazy Heights (Highland)
View this post on Instagram
4. Iron Rail (Wedge)
5. Voodoo Ranger (New Belgium)
6. Torpedo (Sierra Nevada)
7. Hi-pitch Mosaic (Hi-Wire)
View this post on Instagram
8. Above the Clouds (Bhramari)
9. Brain Oasis (Dssolvr)
10. Elderflower Session (Whistle Hop)
Make The Esmeralda Inn Your Stay
Our inn features gorgeous vistas, a casual dining room, and a convenient location near top local attractions, including Chimney Rock State Park. You have a variety of wonderful accommodations to choose from, and they come with top-of-the-line amenities. You also get to wake up to a complimentary breakfast every morning. We can’t wait to see you!