From football games to the Uptown nightlife, there is a lot to love about the Queen City. But, every now and then, we all need to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Luckily, the perfect weekend getaway from Charlotte, NC, is only a stone’s throw away! If outdoor recreation, great food, and a small-town feel sounds like the perfect vacation to you, then it’s time to plan a trip to Chimney Rock. Book your stay today to snag that getaway you’ve been craving.
Your Ultimate Road Trip Guide: One of the Best Weekend Getaways from Charlotte, NC
Chimney Rock is a short and easy drive from Charlotte. You’ll start your one hour and 45-minute journey on I-85 South. Stay on this highway until you are able to get on US-74 West. Then, take exit 167 towards Mill Spring and head north to Chimney Rock. There is plenty to do and see along the way!
Stop Along the Way
Rankin Lake Park, Gastonia
You’ll find Rankin Lake Park 30 minutes outside of Charlotte. This is a great place to stop if you can’t wait to get a little sunshine! Take a stroll along the paved path around the lake, explore open meadows, and even play a game of disc golf.
Kings Mountain State Park, Blacksburg
Just past Gastonia, you will discover yet another park worth a bit of your time. Families, couples, and friends alike will love exploring this 1.5-mile trail that features the Living History Farm. Witness firsthand what life was like in North Carolina during the Revolutionary era. The land features an old farmhouse, blacksmith shop, barn, smokehouse, and cotton gin. The trailhead begins at the picnic area.
Foothills Farmers Market, Shelby
Drive 20 minutes more down US-74 W to visit the quaint Foothills Farmers Market in Shelby. You can browse and buy artisan goods, handmade soaps, locally grown produce, and more! Snag some baked goods here and save them for a yummy snack later on in your trip.
Overmountain Vineyard, Tryon
What better way to begin your trip than with a glass of wine in a beautiful setting? Overmountain Vineyard is a place you can’t miss. It’s tucked into the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and offers the most picturesque scenery. Enjoy their French-style wines in the tasting cottage, then tour the vineyard and take in the views.
The Beautiful Destination
- Visitors and locals know Chimney Rock State Park for its iconic stone peak that overlooks the mountains. This beautiful park offers hiking trails, rock climbing, family-friendly activities, and more.
- Mount Mitchell Trail boasts the highest peak east of the Mississippi River. This makes it home to some of the most spectacular views in North Carolina. Hike a trail to the top of the mountain to admire the jaw-dropping scenery and panoramic vistas. Most importantly, enjoy the fresh air!
- You will experience relaxation at its finest when you visit Lake Lure! The Blue Ridge Mountains surround this picturesque body of water, making it a peaceful oasis for couples and families alike. Feel free to go for a stroll, have a picnic, take a dip, or enjoy a boat tour.
For the Ultimate Foodie
- When you stay at The Esmeralda Inn, you won’t need to travel far for a gourmet, farm-to-table dining experience! The Esmeralda Restaurant is conveniently located at our main inn. Each season, we craft a wonderful new menu using only the freshest local ingredients. The inn is an easy two-hour drive from Charlotte and is nestled just over a mile away from Chimney Rock.
More Resources for Planning Your Weekend Getaway from Charlotte
When you plan a trip to Chimney Rock, you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Nestled in one of the most incredible canyons, our small mountain town offers a peaceful retreat that is only a short trip away from the bustling city of Asheville. For more fun things to do during your weekend getaway, read our blogs on:
- Saint Paul Mountain Vineyards & What You Need to Know
- 7 of the Greatest Breweries Near Asheville
- Fun Things to Do on the Rocky Broad River
- Incredible North Carolina Waterfalls
- 3 Special Ways to Explore Hickory Nut Gap Farm
Relax at the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant
Is relaxation the goal of your weekend getaway from Charlotte? Look no further than the Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. Indulge in our luxurious spa services! Relax on the private patio to the sounds of the Rocky Broad River. After your stay at the Esmeralda, we know that you will return home to CLT feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. If you are ready to plan your next vacation, check out our seasonal specials and book your stay!
For more fun things to do during your weekend getaway from Charlotte, remember to download our complimentary Chimney Rock/Lake Lure Vacation Guide!